Pastoral Life Coordinator (PLC)
"and he gave some as apostles, others as prophets, others as evangelists,
others as pastors and teachers to equip the holy ones for the work of ministry,
for building up the body of Christ." Ephesians 4:11,12
Ministry of Parish Life Coordinator
Pastoral Life Coordinators are qualified professionals whose lives are rooted in gospel values and who are responsive to Jesus' call to discipleship. They are committed to service within the Church and are able to assist the pastor with the day-to-day pastoral care and administration of parish/cluster, coordinating pastoral, sacramental, catechetical, and other needs of the parish/cluster in accordance with canon law and diocesan policies and guidelines. He or she is a member of the parish staff, usually full-time, and is accountable to the pastor. The Pastoral Life Coordinator (PLC) is a person of faith committed to help the Church fulfill its mission and purpose.
The PLC serves in a key cluster management position. The Pastoral Life Coordinator, together with the Pastor, parochial vicar, deacon, parish/cluster business coordinator and school principal (where applicable) forms the core management team to ensure that the pastoral and administrative needs of the parish/cluster are met.
The responsibilities of the PLC will vary from one parish/cluster to another, dependent upon the needs of the parish/cluster and the gifts of the PLC as well as other members of the pastoral staff.
A Pastoral Life Coordinator
- Promotes evangelization and spiritual renewal
- Supports the full and active participation of the community in celebration of liturgy and sacraments
- Fosters faith life of the parish community
- Contributes to parish needs assessment, planning, communication and decision-making
- Helps to develop a consciousness of the social teachings of the Church among parishioners
- Coordinates designated parish programs
- Leads communal prayer when liturgically appropriate
- Accesses appropriate resources for persons in need
- Directs the work of pastoral staff
- Promotes ways to make the parish a welcoming community
Members of the staff of the Office of Lifelong Faith Formation are available to assist Pastoral Life Coordinators in their ministry.