Father Normand Carpentier
Please pray for the repose of the soul of Reverend Normand E. Carpentier, 71, a priest of the Diocese of Portland, who died on Sunday, March 19, 2017, in Auburn.
Normand was born on April 5, 1945, the son of Charles E. and Adrienne (Lajoie) Carpentier. After grammar school, he completed his high school and two years of college at the Seminaire de Sherbrooke, Quebec. He then completed his philosophy and theology studies at St. Mary’s Seminary & University, Baltimore. He was ordained by the then Auxiliary Bishop of Portland, the Most Reverend Edward C. O’Leary, on May 29, 1971, at St. Louis Church, Auburn.
During his years of full-time active ministry, Fr. Norm served in the following assignments
- Holy Rosary Parish, Caribou – Parochial Vicar (June 1971-May 1972)
- St. Thomas Aquinas Parish, Madawaska – Parochial Vicar (May 1972-January 1977)
- St. Ignatius Parish, Sanford – Parochial Vicar & Temporary Administrator (January 1977-November 1978)
- Holy Family Parish, Lewiston – Parochial Vicar (November 1978-June 1981)
- St. James the Greater Parish, Baileyville (Woodland) – Pastor (June 1981-September 1983), and added St. Ann Mission, Peter Dana Point, Princeton – Administrator (December 1981-September 1983)
- Sacred Heart Parish, Portland – Pastor of Collaborative Ministry & Maine Medical Center, Portland – Chaplain (September 1983-June 1987), and added Diocesan Coordinator of Institutional Chaplaincy Program (January 1984- June 1987)
- St. John the Baptist Parish, Winslow (July 1987-March 1993)
- Holy Cross Parish, Lewiston – Parochial Vicar (March 1993-June 1993)
- St. Margaret Parish, Old Orchard Beach – Pastor (July 1993-June 2003)
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish, Windham – Pastor (July 2003-June 2009), and added St. Joseph Parish and St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Mission, Bridgton-Fryeburg – Administrator (September 2008-June 2009)
- All Saints Parish, Brunswick/Bath/Newcastle/Boothbay Harbor/Richmond/Harpswell – July 2009-June 2015)
After retiring from full-time ministry on July 1, 2015, Fr. Norm continued to be of assistance in several parishes throughout the diocese, and since November 2016, he had served as Vicar for Priests.
During the course of his ministry, Fr. Norm also served the diocese, its bishops and brother priests in the following roles:
- Diocesan Priests Senate/Presbyteral Council (1982-1987; 1994-1999; 2016-present)
- Diocesan Review Board (2008-2015)
- Priest Personnel Board (1977-1980; 2010-2015; 2016-present)
- Vicar Forane/Dean: Southern York Deanery (1977-1979); Northern Kennebec Deanery (1987-1988); Northern York Deanery (1996-2001)
- Volunteer Staff to the Diocesan Marriage Counseling Service
- Chaplain to Knights of Columbus: Rev. J.J. McGinnis Council, Sanford; St. Croix Council, Calais; St. John Council, Winslow; Council #2266, Old Orchard Beach; and Council #1947, Brunswick (also Faithful Friar)
To view his obituary, please click on the following link: http://www.albert-burpee.com/current-services/father-normand-e-carpentier.html
At the time of his retirement in 2015, Bishop Robert Deeley wrote a letter to Fr. Norm and said, “Generosity, compassion, charity, kindness and sensitivity are the traits that characterized your priestly ministry. Indeed, Fr. Wilfred Ouellette’s words have proven true; you have been an asset to the diocesan clergy.”
The family of Fr. Normand Carpentier has announced the following funeral arrangements:
May Fr. Norm’s soul, and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.