Each year, the Diocese of Portland makes available application packets for grants from the Lay Continuing Education and Formation Endowment Fund invested with the Catholic Foundatin of Maine.*
Grants support employees and volunteers (such as pastoral life coordinators and associates; business coordinators; catechetical leaders, teachers and youth ministers) to further their education and training related to faith formation and professional service within the Church. Grants also provide parishes, diocesan schools and diocesan offices of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Portland with funds to support education, training, and the start - up of new initiatives related to faith formation and professional service to the Church. The fund is not intended for ongoing or perennial programs.
Who: Individuals (employees and volunteers), parishes, diocesan schools and diocesan offices in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Portland
What: Funding awarded for activity taking place from August 2020 to July 2021.
Applications accepted for:
- Tuition for college and university courses; or registration fees for seminars and conferences in catechetics, theology, and religious studies that help form the faith of Catholics from approved and/or accredited institutions/programs (Individuals in degree granting or on-going programs, may re-apply for funding; however multiple year funding is not guaranteed.);
- Tuition for college and university courses
- Registration fees for seminars and conferences related to an individual's work as an employee or volunteer in the church from approved and/or accredited institutions/programs;
- Start-up expenses for new initiatives related to parish-based faith formation activities
- Training and education programs for parishes, schools and diocesan offices
Expenses not typically covered by grant funds:
- Books and materials for such seminars and classes as identified above
- Travel to and from seminar/class sites
- Application or other fees associated with a college program
- Catechetical texts and series
Review the Grant Request Announcement for instructions for submitting the appropriate grant application. Only complete applications recieved by July 20, 2020 will be considered. Decisions will be communicated by August 31, 2020.
2020-2021 Grant Request Announcement with full details
Need ideas for training or new programs? Contact a member of the Office of Lifelong Faith Formation Staff
*The Lay Continuing Education & Formation Endowment Fund, invested with the Catholic Foundation of Maine, was established through the Strengthening the Heartbeat of the Church Campaign in 2008. The purpose of the campaign is to build resources to support the present and future ministry of the Catholic Church in Maine.
Food for thought whenever applying for a grant "10 Most Common Grant Writing Mistakes"