"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young but set an example for the believers in speech, conduct, love, faith and purity." (1 Timothy 4:12)
The Catholic Youth Leadership Team (CYLT) is comprised of youth in grades 11 and 12 from across the diocese, who serve as peer leaders. Working with the Office of Lifelong Faith Formation and the Coordinator of Youth Ministry, the CYLT team serves a year-long term (July – June) planning, organizing, facilitating and evaluating diocesan youth events including the Middle School Rallies, Journey Retreat and Catholic Youth Convention. Members also are encouraged to use their gifts as leaders in their parishes, schools and communities to be the light of Christ to all those whom they encounter.
Applications are now being accepted for youth and adult members.
All materials of the application packet are due in by Monday, April 19, 2021 .
If you have any questions or want more information, please contact Shawn Gregory, Coordinator of Youth Ministry, firstname.lastname@example.org or 207-321-7813.
Here's what former CYLT members and parents of members had to say about the experience:
Perspectives from Past CYLT Members
- Pope Francis in his Apostolic Exhortation "Gaudete et Exsultate" writes, "do not be afraid of holiness. It will take away none of your energy, vitality or joy." When I was first accepted onto CYLT I had no idea what to expect. Little did I know that what I would find was a passion for serving others, a group of friends (who to this day I still consider my family) to journey alongside me in my faith, and joy in living out my Catholic faith. CYLT gave to me so much more than I could have ever imagined. It was during those meetings, when interacting with people from across the state, and being onstage during Convention that I felt the most alive, where I felt I could be the most myself. It was in those intense moments of prayer, planning and preparation that I learned to trust that God was going to help it come together the way He wanted it to and not neccesarily the way we had planned. I strongly believe it is because I said a "fiat" to being on CYLT that I am the person I am today. (Hannah Gonneville, CYLT 2011-2012, 2012-2013, 2013-2014)
- CYLT was the best two years of my life! I really loved getting to know different people around the state of Maine and having more friends than just in my small town. It is a great way to get out of your comfort zone and do things that you may never have done before! CYLT is a great way to meet new friends around the state and keep those loving friendships throughout the years! It is fun to help plan Journey and Convention and help make these events fun for other youth around the state. (Danielle Nadeau, CYLT 2016-2017, 2017-2018)
- In high school, CYLT gave me the opportunity to grow in my faith with other young leaders from our diocese and share that passion for Christ with other youth throughout the state. CYLT allowed me to understand what it means to be one family in Christ and the relationships I built with the other members are still a part of my life almost five years later. (Emily Belanger, CYLT 2013-2014, 2014-2015)
Perspectives from Parents of CYLT members
- When our son wanted to be in CYLT, we knew it was a commitment from him and us. Having encouraged our children to be involved in their faith, we were thrilled to support him. After his involvement with CYLT, he had some great friends that shared his faith, I see in him a deep fire for his faith. (Cheryl Demerchant; parent of 2014-2015 CYLT member)
- The time commitment for me as a parent of a CYLT member was mainly for transportation to get my daughter to the meetings or her rides to get further downstate. The time commitment for me as a parent was no more than the time commitment it takes of a parent of an athlete or a parent of teens of other extra-curricular activities. My daughter's involvement in CYLT helped her gain self esteem and make lasting friendships with with like minded teens from all over the state. The benefits and experiences that Hannah gained from being a member of the CYLT team far outweighed the time commitment from me as a parent. (Janet Gonneville; parent of 2011-2014 CYLT member)
To see more testimonies from CYLT member's and parents of CYLT members click here