"The word of God nourishes both evangelizers and those who are being evangelized so that each one may continue to grow in his or her Christian life." (NDC no.17)
Catechetical Sunday, September 16, 2018, is a national day to celebrate the ministry of passing on the faith. This year's theme is Enlisting Witnesses for Jesus Christ. Catechetical Sunday is a wonderful time to publicly commission and pray for those who will serve as catechists and teachers in the parish community. A commissioning rite is available for use at Sunday Masses or in a special gathering for prayer. Those whom the community has designated to serve as catechists will be called forth to be commissioned for their ministry. Catechetical Sunday also provides the opportunity to reflect on the role that each person plays, by virtue of baptism, in handing on the faith and in being a witness to the Gospel, and it is a chance for all to rededicate themselves to this mission.
Articles from the U.S.C.C.B.
- U.S. Bishops' Message from Bishop Robert Barron
- A Look at the “Nones” Across Cultures
- Asking “Catholic Questions”
- Confronting Secularism Today
- Finding Portals for Faith: Toward Pastoral Care of “Nones
- Going Out to the Peripheries: Accompanying the “Nones”
- Kerygmatic Proclamation of Jesus Christ
For more information and handouts, click here to go to the USCCB website for Catechetical Sunday.
- Tips for Celebrating Catechetical Sunday from Catechist Magazine
- Catechetical Sunday Toolkit from Wm H Sadlier
- Pep Talks for Catechists from Twentythird Publications
- Catechist Planner from Creative Catechist
- RCIA's Six Keys to Making Lifelong Disciples from Team RCIA