Catechetical Sunday, September 17, 2017, is a national day to celebrate the ministry of passing on the faith. This year's theme is Living as Missionary Disciples, based on Pope Francis' Evangellii Gaudium: "Every Christian is a missionary to the extent that he or she has encountered the love of God in Christ Jesus: we no longer say that we are 'disciples' and 'missionaries' but, rather, that we are always “missionary disciples” (Evangellii Gaudium, 119).
Commissioning of Catechists
Catechetical Sunday is a wonderful time to publicly commission and pray for those who will serve as catechists and teachers in the parish community. A commissioning rite is available for use at Sunday Masses or in a special gathering for prayer. Those whom the community has designated to serve as catechists will be called forth to be commissioned for their ministry. Catechetical Sunday also provides the opportunity to reflect on the role that each person plays, by virtue of baptism, in handing on the faith and in being a witness to the Gospel, and it is a chance for all to rededicate themselves to this mission.
- Commissioning Rite (English)
- Servicio-de-comision (Español)
- Catechetical Sunday pins can be purchased from NCCL
Catechists as Missionary Disciples - Take a spiritual journey this upcoming liturgical year and explore the call of the catechist to be a missionary disciple. For the seasons of Advent, Lent, and Easter, NCCL, NFCYM, NCEA, and CRS will accompany catechists in unpacking Catholic social teaching and its link to the baptismal call of missionary discipleship. Click here to sign up for the webinar.
Catholic Social Teaching - CST 101 is a collaborative 7-part video series presented by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops and Catholic Relief Services on Catholic social teaching. Lesson plans for grades 1-8 about the Catholic social teaching principles are available. Click here to access the series. Click here ot access Part One - Call to family, community, and participation.
Articles from the U.S.C.C.B.
- Catechesis and the Church's Commitment to the Family in our Day
- Catechists & Evangelizers as Missionary Disciples
- Accompanying Youth and Young Adults on their Journey as Missionary Disciples
- Taking the First Step: Keys to Sharing Faith Person-to-Person
- Christian Discipleship and the Care for the Created Order
Video Resources on the Theme of Communications
- What is faithful communicatons?
- Communication: Essential to the Church
- What does it mean to proclaim the Gospel in the digital age?
- What helps to be a faithful communicator?
- Learning communication from God
- The Holy Spirit and the Ability to Speak
- Christ, the Perfect Communicator
- Pentecost: The Importance of the Holy Spirit
For more information and handouts, click here to go to the USCCB website for Catechetical Sunday.