Fr. Richard Denis Bertrand, SJ
Please pray for the repose of the soul of Reverend Richard Denis Bertrand, SJ, who, after a long illness, was called home by the Lord on Monday, September 11, 2017. He had recently moved to the Campion Center in Weston, MA.
A native of Biddeford, Maine, Fr. Bertrand was a professed member of the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits); he was ordained to the priesthood in 1979 in Fall River, Massachusetts.
After his profession and ordination, Fr. Bertrand spent most of his early years of priestly ministry in education, notably as a teacher of English, French and Spanish. In 1994, Fr. Bertrand began a period of pastoral ministry in the Diocese of Portland, during which time he held the following assignments:
- St. Louis Parish, Auburn - Pastor (1994-98), and later added St. Mary Parish, Lewiston (1996-98)
- St. Edmund Parish, Westbrook – Pastor (1998-2003)
- Sacred Heart/St. Dominic Parish, Portland – Pastor (2003-2009), and later added St. Pius X & St. Patrick Parishes – Temporary Administrator (2007-2008)
- Cluster #21: Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, Sacred Heart/St. Dominic, St. Peter, St. Louis, and St. Christopher parishes in Portland, along with the mission of Our Lady Star of the Sea on Long Island – Parochial Vicar (2009-2010)
- St. Pius X, St. Patrick, & St. Joseph parishes, Portland – Parochial Vicar (2010-11), which merged to form Our Lady of Hope Parish, Portland – Parochial Vicar (2011-present)
In addition to his gift for languages, Fr. Bertrand had a strong commitment to the social gospel, with a special focus on the poor, the immigrant and the refugee.
Please pray also for the consolation of his natural and religious families.
The following arrangements for the funeral services for Reverend Richard D. Bertrand, SJ, have been provided:
• Wake Monday September 18, 2-5 p.m. and 7-9 p.m. at St. Pius X Church, 492 Ocean Avenue, Portland
• Funeral Mass: Tuesday September 19, 12:30 p.m. at Sacred Heart/St. Dominic Church, 65 Mellen Street, Portland (**See below)
• Interment: Wednesday September 20 at Campion Center, Weston, MA
**Because of limited parking and road construction in the area of the Sacred Heart/St. Dominic Church, please note that a shuttle service (to be arranged by Walker Conroy-Tully Funeral Homes) will be provided on the day of the funeral, with drop off at Sacred Heart/St. Dominic on Mellen Street. More information will be provided as those arrangements are completed