Father Paul Plante
Please pray for the repose of the soul of Very Reverend Paul A. Plante, 73, a priest of the Diocese of Portland, who died peacefully after an extended illness on Thursday evening, June 30, 2016, at the rectory in Falmouth where he had been receiving hospice/end-of-life care from Fr. Daniel Greenleaf, family, friends and parishioners. Until his passing, Fr. Plante had continued to serve as the pastor of Our Lady of the Lakes Parish (Oquossoc, Rangeley, Stratton & Sugarloaf) and as Vicar for Priests.
Paul A. Plante, the son of Ovila and Corinne (Lehouillier) Plante, was born on May 29, 1943, in Sanford. After graduating from St. Ignatius School in Sanford, he attended high school and college at St. Charles Seminary in Sherbrooke, Quebec. He went on to complete his studies in philosophy at Le Grand Séminaire de Montreal and his theological studies at St. Paul’s University Seminary in Ottawa.
The Most Reverend Peter L. Gerety, the Eighth Bishop of Portland, ordained him to the priesthood on May 8, 1971, at St. Ignatius Church in Sanford. During his more than 45 years of active ministry, Fr. Paul Plante served in the following assignments:
- St. Joseph Parish, Old Town (as a deacon) & Bangor State Hospital (as an occupational therapist) – June 1968
- Mercy Hospital Portland (Associate Chaplain), May - June 1971
- St. Louis Parish, Auburn (Parochial Vicar), July 1971 - September 1975
- St. Joseph Parish, Biddeford (Parochial Vicar), September 1975 - September 1976
- Holy Cross Parish, Lewiston (Parochial Vicar), September 1976 - June 1985
- Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, Portland (Parochial Vicar), July 1985-July 1987
- Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, Portland (Rector), August 1987-November 1993
St. John the Baptist Parish, Winslow (Pastor), November 1993-June 2004
► added Immaculate Heart of Mary Parish, Fairfield, Administrator, May-June 2004
Our Lady of the Lakes Parish, Oquossoc (Pastor), July 1, 2004-June 30, 2016
► added Vicar for Priests, July 1, 2009 - June 30, 2016
In addition, Fr. Plante also served in the following capacities (among others):
- Council of Priests, 1991-1994
- Diocesan Liturgical Commission, 1992-1995
- Art & Environment Committee of the DLC, 1993-1996
- Vicar Forane, Northern Kennebec Deanery, 1994-1999
- Chaplain, Knights of Columbus, Winslow, 1994-2004
- Diocesan Pastoral Council, 1997-1999
- Presbyteral Council & College of Consultors, 2009-2016
- Priests Personnel Board, 2009-2016
- Vicar Forane, Vicariate IV, 2012-2015
Fr. Plante, who was also a graduate of the Portland School of Art (1987), was recognized among his peers for the unique contributions he made through his own artwork; Fr. Plante acknowledged that the gift of art in his life as yet another opportunity, as a child of God and at this particular time in history, to connect with the Infinite and an extension of the creative powers of the Divine.
May Fr. Paul’s soul, and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.