"My flesh for the life of the world / Mi carne para la vida del mundo" John 6:51
The Bishops of the United States (USCCB) are calling for a three-year grassroots revival of devotion and belief in the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist. They believe that God wants to see a movement of Catholics across the United States, healed, converted, formed, and unified by an encounter with Jesus in the Eucharist—and sent out in mission “for the life of the world.” The three years will focus on different levels of Church life and include the first National Eucharistic Congress in the United States in almost fifty years.
This Eucharistic Revival seeks to bring together clergy, religious, laity, apostolates, movements, and parish and diocesan leaders to spur momentum, collaboration, and lasting impact for the renewal of the Catholic Church in the U.S. Grounded in prayer and responding to the guidance of the Holy Spirit, the National Eucharistic Revival has four primary goals:
- To provide a more profound encounter with Jesus Christ in the Sunday liturgy as a point of unity among all Catholics, and through this powerful encounter, to find personal healing and courage to take the Gospel to a world in need of authentic love – the love of Christ found in the Eucharist.
- To spark personal conversions through the joyful discovery of a relationship with Christ by encountering the love of God present in Jesus in the Eucharist.
- To elevate the truth and practices of our Catholic faith through the rediscovery of the Real Presence of Jesus Christ in the Eucharist.
- To form, inspire, and launch missionary disciples, filled with love of God and neighbor that comes from an encounter with Jesus in the Eucharist, to the margins of the Church and the world.
Timeline for the Diocese of Portland
Year of Diocesan Renewal - June 19, 2022 - June 11, 2023
- Begins June 19, 2022 with Neophyte Mass and Eucharistic Procession at the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, Portland
- Focus is on chancery staff working with parish and Catholic school leaders to "prepare the soil."
- Regional Parish Leader Days on the Real Presence (TBD Fall 2022)
- Regional Evenings for Catechists (TBD March 2023)
Year of Parish Rewewal - June 11, 2023 - July 17, 2024
- Focus will be on local efforts with and for parishioners that awaken eucharistic amazement
- Encourage participation in the National Eucharistic Congress
National Eucharistic Congress - July 17 - 21, 2024
- Held in Indianapolis, Indiana
Year of Personal Renewal and Mission - July 17, 2024 - June 8, 2025 (Pentecost)
- Focus will be on individuals and families going out on mission motivated by love of Christ encountered in the Eucharist and equipped through the Catholic community
- Anticipate Eucharistic Congress in Maine to coincide with 2025 Jubilee Year “Pilgrims of Hope”
- USCCB website dedicated to the National Eucharistic Revival in English in Spanish
- "The Mystery of the Eucharist in the Life of the Church" Committee on Doctrine of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB), November 2021 in English in Spanish
- Slides from presentation given at 2022 Clergy Institute
- Revival Blog with updates, information, and revival stories