BANGOR---All Saints Catholic School is planning its second alumni reception for All Saints and its predecessor schools: St. John’s School in Bangor, St. Mary’s School in Bangor, and St. Teresa School in Brewer. The reception is scheduled for Saturday, November 9, at 5 p.m. at St. John Church on 217 York Street in Bangor. The gathering follows a 4 p.m. Mass at the church. All alums and former faculty and staff members are encouraged to attend.
St. John’s School opened on August 5, 1865, on Newbury Street with the Sisters of Mercy serving as the teachers. The school soon outgrew the facility, and a building was purchased on State Street and converted into St. Xavier’s Convent and a boarding school for girls. After the Great Bangor Fire of 1911, the convent moved and St. John’s School was constructed on the land. Today, the building houses All Saints Catholic School’s fourth through eighth graders.
St. Mary’s School, located on Ohio Street, opened in the late 1890s with students taught by the Sisters of Mercy and the Christian Brothers. In 1946, a fire gutted the school and classes were moved to John Bapst High School, the Bangor Theological Seminary, and the former Pond Street School. In 1990, the school was relocated to its current facility on 768 Ohio Street where, today, All Saints’ pre-kindergarteners, kindergarteners, first graders and second graders attend.
In 2000, St. Mary’s and St. John’s officially merged into All Saints Catholic School with the two buildings being renamed the St. Mary’s Campus and the St. John’s Campus.
All Saints Catholic School has set up a Facebook page for alumni. The page is attached to the school Facebook page. Alumni are encouraged to share memories and pictures both on the alumni Facebook page and at the reception. For more information, contact Doug Fogg at All Saints by calling (207) 942-0955 or emailing email@example.com.