PORTLAND---Bishop Robert P. Deeley has authorized a special collection at all of Maine’s Catholic churches on the weekend of October 13-14 to provide aid and support to victims recovering from Hurricane Florence, the earthquake and tsunami in Indonesia, and other natural disasters that could occur this year.
The funds collected will be forwarded to Catholic Charities USA and Catholic Relief Services, the official relief agencies of the U.S. Catholic Church. The agencies respond to immediate emergency needs and offer recovery support domestically and internationally, respectively.
Catholic Charities USA and its local agencies continue to provide bottled water, hygiene products, and additional support to victims in North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia. In advance of the special collection, those wishing to donate can do so by:
- visiting www.catholiccharitiesusa.org,
- calling 1-800-919-9338,
- texting CCUSADISASTER to 71777,
- sending a check with “Hurricane Florence Relief” on the memo line to: Catholic Charities USA, 2050 Ballenger Avenue, Suite #400, Alexandria, VA 22314.
Over 1,400 people were killed last month by a powerful earthquake and tsunami that struck the island of Sulawesi in Indonesia. Catholic Relief Services has mobilized a team to reach the families affected and provide emergency shelter and critical living supplies. Interested parties who wish to donate to their efforts in advance can do so by:
- visiting https://support.crs.org/donate/indonesia-tsunami,
- calling 1-877-HELP-CRS,
- sending a check with “Indonesia Tsunami” on the memo line to: Catholic Relief Services, P.O. Box 17090, Baltimore, MD 21203-7090.