The Diocese of Portland has two Catholic high schools, Saint Dominic Academy in Auburn and Cheverus High School in Portland. The schools have a combined 650 students enrolled in grades 9 - 12.
Saint Dominic Academy serves both young men and women. It was founded in 1941 and was originally run by the Brothers of Sacred Heart but was turned over to the diocese in 1966. Construction on a new high school campus in Auburn began in 2000, and in January 2002, the new school opened. Formerly St. Dominic Regional High School, in July 2010, it merged with Trinity Catholic School to form St. Dominic Academy and now serves students in grades pre-kindergarten through 12.
Cheverus High School, overlooking Back Cove in Portland, is an accredited Catholic college preparatory school operated by the Jesuits. It was built in 1917 as a diocesan school but became a Jesuit school in 1942. Cheverus is committed to educating the students of Maine according to the 460-year-old Jesuit tradition of excellence in education. Orginally a boys school, it is now co-ed.